Paving Surface Preparation Video from Boral
Preparing the Site
When determining your finished paved
surface level remember to consider the
- Paving must slope away from the building;
- Allow for the depth of the base layer,
bedding sand, the paver thickness less
10mm for settlement after compaction
- Pavers should be flush with the lawn.
Excavate the area to be paved:
- Check the level and depth of the base by
measuring from a string line (see figure 4).
- Ensure the ground level is even. Replace
wet patches, loose or soft areas with a sand
cement mix or compacted road base to
create a stable base.
Spread the base layer (Generally: road base
material or well graded crushed rock) evenly
over the prepared ground.
- Rake to an even thickness before
- Compaction of road base is usually
performed using a mechanical plate
compactor It is recommended
that the road base is compacted in 2 - 3
layers, not in one single layer.